Pages

Wednesday, 16 April 2014

Easter lilies and other lily plants can be deadly to cats.

Chicago Veterinary Emergency & Specialty Center (www.ChicagoPetEmergency.com) is distributing an infographic to remind pet owners that many lilies are deadly for cats. 

 
"Lilies are extremely poisonous to cats," said Dr. Jerry Klein, supervising veterinarian at Chicago Veterinary Emergency & Specialty Center. "Ingesting any part of a lily plant can cause serious illness or even lead to death. Because many lilies are so highly-poisonous to cats, prompt veterinary care is required."  
Treatment for ingesting lilies can be difficult for the cat and expensive for its owners. Hospitalization is generally required. Without treatment, the cat will suffer from renal failure and die.

Many of the most common lilies are the most toxic to cats including Asiatic, Day, Easter, Stargazer and Tiger Lilies. All parts of the lily are poisonous to cats, including the flower, leaves and pollen. A cat can even be poisoned by drinking water that lilies were stored in. Cats that ingest any part of a lily may develop acute renal failure and die within days.  

Anyone who suspects that her or his cat has come in contact with any part of a lily plant should seek immediate veterinary care. Although there is no antidote, prompt treatment can help save the cat.
 "We remind cat owners to keep lilies out of their homes," said Dr. Klein. "And if there are outdoor cats in your neighborhood, please don't plant lilies in your yard."

Infographic available on  www.ChicagoPetEmergency.com.

SOURCE Chicago Veterinary Emergency & Specialty Center

Do you have a story to tell? Contact 'Let's Hear You!' and let us know! news@letshearyou.com