- 2,703 children and teenagers died from firearms in 2011.
- Children are more likely to be killed by a gun in the home than anywhere else. An alarming 60% of firearm-related deaths among children and teens (0-19) occurred in and around a home, whether it's in their own home or the home of friends, neighbors and family members.
- 4 out of 10 firearm youth homicides take place in a home.
- 8 out of 10 firearm youth suicides occur in a home.
- 9 out of 10 unintentional youth shooting fatalities take place in a home.
- Two-thirds (68%) of attackers in school shootings had acquired the gun(s) from their own home or that of a relative.
- Over one million students reported being injured or threatened with a weapon on school property in the last year.
- Access to a gun was highest among adolescents who are white, who live with two parents and have a mother with at least a high school degree.
Do you have a story to tell? Contact 'Let's Hear You!' and let us know! firstname.lastname@example.org